Since the original androgen, testosterone evidence has been mounting that anabolic steroids are unsafe. However, it is not certain if they cause cancer or have other long-term effects. In addition to being prescribed as an antiemetic or to a mother after childbirth, anabolic steroids have been used for their muscle-building properties and their supposed effects on human male sexual characteristics.
Many people who use anabolic steroids do so to improve athletic performance. Increasing testosterone levels cause the body’s cells to grow faster, increasing muscle mass and strength.
Some of the health advantages associated with consuming anabolic steroids are as follows:
- The steroid anabolic usage can reduce or prevent osteoporosis.
- Anabolic steroid usage can increase muscle mass and overall strength, which decreases the risk of injury or disability.
- Since anabolic steroids increase protein synthesis, they have been known to improve recovery after physical activity and reduce muscle tissue deterioration from aging or chronic illnesses such as Alzheimer’s.
- Contrary to what many people believe, anabolic steroids do not cause liver cancer in users; this myth has been debunked by researchers who have examined this hypothesis at length over many years of study.
- In addition to being used by bodybuilders and athletes, anabolic steroids are also prescribed to help people with muscle-wasting diseases such as AIDS.
- Anabolic steroids may cause mood swings, but when prescribed under the supervision of a qualified medical professional, this is not a problem for most people.
- Anabolic steroids help burn fat and increase lean body mass, which is good for people trying to lose weight or improve their physical appearance.
- Anabolic steroid usage can be beneficial in reducing symptoms of depression in individuals with low testosterone levels or men going through andropause or delayed male puberty.
- Anabolic steroid usage can cause acne, but when used under the supervision of a medical professional, this is not a problem for most people.
- Anabolic steroid usage can cause aggression, but this is also not a problem and is commonly prescribed by medical professionals to individuals with conditions like ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative proctitis.
Anabolic steroids are not addictive and do not cause dependence or withdrawal symptoms when used in therapeutic doses under the supervision of a medical professional. Since anabolic steroids build lean muscle mass, they can help rehabilitate people with injuries or illnesses limiting their physical abilities, such as paralysis or ALS.